FPG Read-a-thon starts Jan. 18
Get ready for Read-a-thon! The 15th annual FPG Read-a-thon will kick-off on Friday, Jan. 18! This year’s theme is Outer Space: Explore your Universe – READ! We hope that all FPG students will let their imaginations take them away! For 14 days (Jan. 18-Feb. 1), all FPG students will be asked to read as much as they can and record their efforts.
FYI, here are the key dates for this year’s Read-a-thon:
- Friday, Jan. 18
- Read-a-thon kick-off assembly
- Read-a-thon information and pledge envelopes come home in student folders
- Student reading competition begins afterschool
- Thursday, Jan. 24 – Read-a-thon Night from 6-8 p.m. at school featuring activities from Morehead Planetarium
- Monday, Jan. 28 – FPG Spirit Night from 5-8 p.m. at Burger King on Jones Ferry Road
- Friday, Feb. 1 – All pledge forms and reading logs due back to school
If you have any questions or need more information, feel free to contact 2013 Read-a-thon co-chairs Adela Pina (email@example.com) and Kelly Gilmore (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We need your help for Read-a-thon!
Read-a-thon works because FPG students, parents, teachers and staff work together to make it happen! Here are opportunities to get involved:
- Provide items to help turn the media center into Outer Space
- Any items should be marked clearly with your name and phone number so they can be returned to you.
- Volunteer to help decorate the Media Center (a truly amazing transformation happens each year!):
- Contact Kathryn Cole to volunteer at email@example.com
- Be a guest reader in your child’s classroom
- Reach out to your child’s teacher and offer to read aloud to the class at a mutually convenient time.
- Invite your child’s grandparents, babysitters or other special friends to come read to the class as well.
- Volunteer during Read-a-thon Night, Thursday Jan. 24 from 6-8 p.m.
- Contribute goodies to the annual bake sale
- Help run the bake sale table
- Be a story reader, help with crowd control around doors, help with activities from Morehead Planetarium.
- If you can volunteer on Read-a-thon Night, please contact Adela Pina at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelly Gilmore at email@example.com
- Be the FPG Lion
- We need a volunteer to serve as the FPG lion during the Spirit Night at Burger King on Monday Jan. 28 (from 5:30 to 7 p.m. would be ideal). If you could help with this, please contact Kelly Gilmore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to everyone who contributes their time and energy to this FPG tradition!